Wednesday, October 19, 2005

last beautiful fall day. . .

or so it seems. . . it is just GORGEOUS outside today. the leaves are starting to change and the temp is somewhere in the 60s. but the weatherman says this will all end tomorrow. rainy and chilly. until april. . . sadness. . .

anyhow, it has been this beautiful all this last weekend til today. i would like to think this is nature's way of celebrating the time i was brought into this earth. but that might be a tad bit too egocentric of me to think so. so yes, a couple of days have passed since i turned 24. doesn't that just sound sooooooo old (sorry to other folks in their "early mid-twenties" and beyond). it feels just like yesterday when i thought that by 24, i'll be all mature and moneyed, wearing a suit to work and driving a car, maybe owning a home. . . ahhhhh, but that just isn't the case. mature? i don't think so. moneyed? definitely not. suit? i'm in jeans and sneakers today. car? i wish. home? i'm a renter. so there. i'm definitely not where i thought i would be. not that i'm complaining. a lot. maybe just a little.

i would've written about all this earlier, like maybe on my birthday. but i was way too stressed out that. stupid neuro test. but that's done. the day itself was pretty ok. got to talk to all the people who mattered. got a couple of cool gifts. shu gave me a bear that says "born to shop, forced to cook", which i think is soooo apt. leigh got me a gift card to urban outfitters (which i've already blown on a pair of slacks and shades. thanks leigh!). and the question that a lot of my friends asked me: what did paul get for me? hmmmm. . . that's actually a funny story. maybe i should start with what he didn't give me. he apparently got me tickets to see john legend live here in columbus. even joined the fanclub to get good seats. but that was not meant to be as the concert was moved on a wednesday. he has classes til 10pm on wednesdays. and that's the week before my 2nd long exam. so that didn't work out. so for my birthday, he made me a card and "pretend" tickets to. . . well, . . .bill cosby's show. . . you could probably sense the lack of enthusiasm on my part for that one. but i was like, ok, sounds like fun, thanks. . . he gave me the card before he went to class. and after he left, well, i got all dramatic and upset. talked to leigh about it and being the upfront and forthright person that she is, advised me to just tell him how i feel. so i did. i felt horrible, but i thought that would be better than me pretending to like bill cosby. i mean he's not bad, but i just can't see me in a bill cosby show. so paul's gift to me: an i owe you. i told him i could wait for when a good act comes to town and he could get me tickets. he felt bad at first i think. he said something about his first gift to me being rejected. . . well, it wasn't really rejected so much as. . . deferred. definitely not how i thought my first birthday with him would turn out. i'm ever so slightly disappointed but at least now i know his flaw: gift-giving.it's funny because he told me this story about his dad's first christmas gift to his mom after they got married was a vinyl carpet runner. and his mom cried and called her mom. so apparently, it runs in the family. but he did bake me a cake last saturday. and hung out with pinoys all weekend (claudine and hanna on saturday, justine and george on sunday). so he's been really nice. and he still makes me happy. and i better stop before this becomes a total sap-fest.

so the question i ask you all now is: did i do right? how else should i have reacted? bring 'em on.

3 comments:

btflpenguin said...

hello jona... dapat nahulaan mo na na hindi ka magiging dressed up for work nung nagumpisa kang mag lab life! hello! jeans forever yan :) hehehe
hapee birdie! at ok yang honest.
-peng

Unknown said...

finally! someone else who thinks 24 is well inside "old". Grad school really delays having things like a home, money, etc.

Anyway, my first question is: "Is there a chance of him reading this blog post?":) j/k.

I guess it boils down to your expectations. It's easy to be disappointed if you have this 'grand idea of a perfect birthday gift' in your head. And the pressure is on your boy to 'come up with the goods', which also might have made him a bit panicky, ergo the end result.

Or it could be that some people, like me, just don't get the art of gift-giving. I'm oftentimes clueless as to what would be a good gift idea. It takes practice. It takes getting to know the other person better, and being a good listener.

I hope it makes sense. A birthday is just another day, in the big scheme of things. Belated!

jona said...

hi peng! . . . pangarap ko mag-suit nung bata pa ako nung feeling ko magiging abogado ako. . . hehe. abogado. . .

george: he doesn't read this. i won't let him. and he promised he won't =) thanks sa insight. siguro nga sa expectations din. pero his first idea was really good. di lang umubra. i think he's pretty much ok with it. but he still gives me a hard time about rejecting the gift, the dork.